Pole Lathe Bowl Turning – Your First Bowl
This workshop is suitable for complete beginners or those who only have experience of pole lathe turning on a spindle lathe. Adults only, or over 16 when accompanied by a paying adult.
This workshop is limited to 8 participants.
The workshop will focus specifically on the following areas:
• The different types of lathe used for turning
• Suitable British timbers for bowl turning
• Selecting appropriate sections of a log for bowl turning
• Roughing out a bowl ‘blank’ using an axe
• Safe and effective axe technique
• Mounting the blank on the lathe ready for turning
• Using home made hook tools to turn your first bowl
• Trimming up, drying and finishing your bowl
You will be turning your bowl on an historic Viking style bowl lathe. There will be lots of time for you to develop and practise new skills. Whilst the main focus of the workshop will be about process and safe technique you should still look forward to producing your first bowl to take home with you at the end of the day. This will be a perfect sized bowl for you to eat your breakfast out of every morning, or your hot soup at lunch! By the end of this workshop you should feel confident to be able to have a go on a lathe on your own at home.
This tends to be quite a physically demanding workshop. There will be plenty of breaks and stops to talk about process and technique but a reasonable level of fitness is required to make sure you get the most out of the day.
All tools and materials are provided but you may bring your own if you have them and we can advise on their suitability.
Time: 09:30 – 16:30